I read the article (RTFA) and thought about it for a minute and now have a few comments to the article...
- Always treat data as 'tainted' and 'unclean', this type of data are off-line data so buffer-overflow exploits wouldn't work.
- If the first radio/tv signals have reached possibly populated planets with possibly intelligent lifeforms, how would they (the possibly evil-minded aliens) know the following things, in order to possibly 'infect' our computers, say 50 to 100 years later?
- Operating System(s)
- ... that we may or may not be listening to signals from space.
- To infect a coputer with a virii, you would have to run the data as machine code, which have to match an instruction-set of the computer in question or else the code will crash/hang.
- The SETI project doesn't deserve this kind of negative/nutty publicity.